Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cocina Del Sol (Kitchen of the Sun)


Cocina del Sol really defines the phrase "hit or miss". It took us a few visits to really figure out which parts of the menu to avoid. On our first visit I got the fish tacos. I think they are described as "fresh snapper, pan fried..." or something to that effect. I was really disappointed. What I got were breaded cubes that looked like they came from the freezer section of Kroger. The main reason I was willing to go back for a second try was that B and N got some awesome meals from the Breakfast side of the menu. B got the crab and goat cheese omelet which was phenomenal and N got the juevos rancheros which she also really liked. J has tried several items on the menu with some decent successes. They are outlined below.

Arizona Beef Steak Sandwich
Dozens of small, hearty strips of well-seasoned beef on a really nice bun. The side options are fries and corn on the cob. They are both a decent option. The corn was substandard once but deliciouos on at least 4 other occasions.

Chili con Carne
Not really like a typical Chile. More like chili without any sauce. Just a dense pile of seasoned ground beef. Not really enough food to fill you up, even with the chips. but then I don't know if it would be wise to eat much more than the"meat plate" that they give you.

Some thoughts on the Crab and Goat Cheese Omelet
B has had the C&GHO at least 5 times. The C/GC ratio was perfect only the first time that he's had it. Left to their devices the cooks are too liberal with the crab. Now the solution is to order just the Goat cheese...not even bacon helped this one out.


One final comment on Kitchen of the Sun. The dishes rarely come out of the kitchen looking the same from week to week. On any given day the juevos rancheros might come with guacamole or the C&GCO may come with chips. There's just no way to tell.

No comments: